Jorge Posada Asks to Be Removed From Lineup Before Game With Red Sox, Status Uncertain

NEW YORK, NY — The early innings of the game between the Red Sox and Yankees on Saturday night became rather secondary to the intrigue surrounding New York designated hitter Jorge Posada.

According to Yankees general manager Brian Cashman, Posada asked to be removed from the lineup prior to the game. Batting just .165, Posada had been put in the ninth spot in the order for the first time in exactly 12 years.

The longtime Yankees catcher said before the game that it was his fault he was hitting ninth, a product of his failures at the plate this season. However, an announcement that he had been replaced in the lineup by Andruw Jones came at around 6:30 p.m., roughly 45 minutes before first pitch.

By the time the second inning rolled around, word came out that Posada had been the one who asked out of the game, touching off speculation that he might be retiring when he meets with reporters after the contest.

Cashman said only that Posada took himself out of the lineup and that there was no injury. Jack Curry of YES reported that Posada felt "insulted" by the demotion and "threw a hissy fit."

Posada was to meet with the media following the game.

Red Sox on Twitter

Yardbarker

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 184,609 other followers