NEW YORK — Bobby Jenks was placed on the 15-day disabled list and catcher Luis Exposito was recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket on Wednesday in the latest roster shuffle for the Red Sox.
This is the second time Jenks has hit the DL. He spent a month on the list earlier in the year with a right bicep strain, returning for just four games before a back injury forced him out of Tuesday's series opener in New York.
Jenks said it was only going to be a day or two before he was able to return, but the club was forced to scramble Wednesday afternoon after catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia fell ill and the need for a backup catcher became pressing.
Saltalamacchia was sent to an area hospital after vomiting multiple times late in the morning. He is usually the starting catcher when Tim Wakefield is on the mound, as is the case Wednesday, but gave way to Jason Varitek. The team had no immediate word on Saltalamacchia's condition.
While the club waited on MRI results for Jenks and a status update on Saltalamacchia, it mobilized Exposito in the event the latter would not be available. He was due to arrive prior to first pitch and back up Varitek.
The moves give the Red Sox protection for now, but the bullpen is down to just six pitchers at the current time. If and when Saltalamacchia is given the OK to return, Exposito — who has never appeared in the majors, would likely be sent down for another arm.
In addition, infielder Jed Lowrie remains sidelined with an ailing right shoulder. The team was awaiting word on an MRI as of Wednesday afternoon, but were hopeful that Lowrie could return to the lineup Thursday to face left-hander CC Sabathia.
"We've got a lot going on right now," manager Terry Francona said in a mid-afternoon news conference that came before the moves were made.
Exposito, once considered one of the top prospects in the system, is hitting .223 with three home runs and 15 RBIs in 33 games for the PawSox.