The New England Sports Network (NESN) is owned by the Boston Red Sox and Boston Bruins and delivered to over 4 million homes throughout the six-state New England region and nationally as NESN National. The definitive source for New England sports programming, NESN has consistently been one of the top rated regional sports network in the country and was the first regional sports network in the country to originate every game and studio show in high definition.
NESN was launched in 1984 as one of the country’s first regional sports networks. We’re currently New England’s largest television network reaching over 4 million homes in 9 designated market areas. We provide extended basic cable channel + distribution on all major satellite providers and telecast approximately 150 Red Sox games throughout New England. We had the highest baseball ratings of any regional sports network in the country from 2004 to 2009. We telecast approximately 73 Bruins regular season games and the first two playoff rounds exclusively. We’re a leader in high definition broadcasts and NESN produces all Red Sox and Bruins games in HD, as well as all studio programs from our 40,000 square foot state-of–the art facility. We produce other local programs and events including NESN Daily, Beanpot Hockey, Hockey East, Champions Cup Boston Tennis, Minor League Baseball and the Little League New England Regional Tournament. We’re located 5 miles from downtown Boston in Watertown, MA
Reporting to the COO and CFO, the Director of Network Operations will lead and manage the network’s broadcast operations including studio, master control, production and remote operations, and media assets. Responsibilities include leading and overseeing the development of: an operations management team and staff, a communicative and collaborative culture, high quality and efficient technical operations, and safety programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Direct, manage and develop/mentor the operations management team to ensure their managerial and operational skills support and facilitate an open, collaborative and high performance environment; lead the team in successfully developing and implementing a talent strategy to meet current and future business needs.
• Partner with Programming & Production (P&P) to proactively identify current and future needs, and oversee collaborations between Operations and P&P to develop and implement effective solutions
• Lead operations management team in proactively and consistently identifying and implementing enhanced processes in order to maintain efficiencies and ensure a productive and collaborative working relationship between Operations, P&P and Engineering
• Partner with P&P, Engineering, and Finance leadership to assure overall quality, efficiency and profitability of the network
• Partner with the VP of Engineering in order to lead the network’s technology plan
• Lead and further develop NESN’s safety program, policies and procedures to ensure network operations studio and remote facilities’ safety needs are met, and proper safety protocols are followed by all applicable personnel and vendors.
• Develop and manage capital budgets and justifications; partner with Finance to develop budgets, track costs, provide pre-estimates and post-estimates for all network productions
• Play a key leadership role in the design and further integration of remote, studio, operation and production facilities; direct and manage NESN production facility and other NESN satellite studios with a focus on efficient and effective use
• Serve as key contact with outside vendors to assure our strategic and financial goals are achieved while maintaining positive relationships. Ensure efficient and effective technical and production operations activities through continuous process improvement.
• Successfully engage in and complete other related responsibilities and projects as necessary
B.S. or B.A. degree; advanced degree desirable
• 12+ years experience of television operations management to include most of the following – studio and production operations, master control, editing, live sports production and media asset management
• 10+ years of managerial experience to include performance and career management, and employee relations; solid experience overseeing (indirect reporting relationships) teams consisting of 25+ regular full-time staff
• Proven ability to build strong partnerships across the organization, lead and manage groups through change and growth, and develop and manage a diverse workforce
• Successful track record of managing up and across, and developing a strong business case for proposed changes; a business savvy professional
• Solid ability to balance production needs with operational capabilities, and to provide solutions that address and balance both wherever applicable.
• Solid experience with process improvement, and identifying and leading operational changes for a TV network’s broadcast operations and production facilities
• Strong working knowledge of broadcast technology and operational workflows
• Must be detail-oriented and have excellent problem solving skills
• Must have a track record of success working in a fast-paced, loosely structured environment which requires a hands-on work ethic
• Successful with developing and managing budgets
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and interpersonal skills
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Powerpoint is necessary
• Strong administrative, organizational and analytical skills
• Strong negotiations skills
NESN is an equal opportunity employer.