Sepp Blatter said that goal-line technology could be in use by the start of next season. The Guardian reports a decision will be made in March when the International Football Association Board (IFAB) meets in London.
“There are now systems that combine precision, speed and are uncomplicated,” Blatter told German newspaper Bild. “We are now in the testing phase and the IFAB will vote in March 2012 in London over using this resource. If the final decision is made, it can be used from the 2012-13 season.”
“Brazil 2014 will have technology to avoid phantom goals,” he told Spanish sports daily El Mundo Deportivo. “FIFA has two good systems that meet all the demands we set: reliability, immediacy and not being difficult to use.”
IFAB is the body that can add or amend laws of soccer. FIFA has been testing nine systems that determine if the entire ball has crossed the line or not. Blatter revealed that at least two of them have proven themselves to be fast and accurate.
One is made by British company Hawk-Eye. Its system is used in top-level tennis and cricket. The other is made by German firm Cairos.
Blatter’s words mark a change of position on the use of goal-line technology. He resisted calls for its use during the 2010 World Cup, when referees’ assistants did not award Frank Lampard a goal (pictured) in England’s round-of-16 loss to Germany. Replays showed the ball hit the crossbar, bounced behind the line and spun back into play.
The technology could be used in professional leagues around the world. Major League Soccer’s 2012 season begins on March 12. MLS commissioner Don Garber said last month that the league would be willing to use goal-line technology immediately after it receives IFAB approval.