Alfredo Aceves Committed to ‘Being Positive’ Despite Tumbling Out of Favor in Bullpen

Alfredo Aceves Committed to 'Being Positive' Despite Tumbling Out of Favor in BullpenWednesday's game against the Rays marked Alfredo Aceves'
first appearance in a week.

Since showing up Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine on Sep.
12 –– Aceves declined to hand him the ball and purposely avoided the skipper while leaving the mound –– the pitcher had been shelved.

Over the past week, Valentine insisted he wasn't
punishing Aceves for his antics at Fenway Park. But once an integral part of
the bullpen, Aceves has since seen Junichi Tazawa and Clayton Mortensen pass him by on the depth chart.

But Aceves told MLB.com that he isn't concerned.

"There's no controlling that," Aceves said.
"It's not in our hands. I was thinking to why I'm here. I came to have
success, to win, to go to the White House and visit the White House, because
that's what happens when you win a championship."

After a week away, Aceves returned to action on
Wednesday. Despite a strong start to his outing, the 29-year-old's momentum
evaporated when he walked two batters in the sixth and wound up getting charged
for four runs to raise his ERA to 5.00.

During spring training, Aceves proclaimed his desire to
become a starting pitcher, but Daniel Bard ultimately edged him for the final
spot in the rotation. While that desire hasn't waned, Aceves plans to keep his craving under
wraps.

"No, I'm not going to ask [to start next
season]," Aceves said. "I'm going to keep everything tranquil and
being positive. You see trades and stuff. It's not in our hands, that
decision."

In 66 appearances this season, Aceves has tallied a 2-9
record with 25 saves in 33 opportunities.

Yardbarker

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 186,377 other followers