One of the givens as the Red Sox entered the offseason seemed to be that Cody Ross would be returning to Boston.
The outfielder had said he enjoyed his time in Boston, and the club was said to be pleased with how his personality and power hitting had buoyed the team throughout the season.
Several weeks into free-agent signings, though, and Ross is still on the market. But that doesn’t mean the Sox aren’t keen on bringing him back — or that Ross isn’t interested in staying with the Sox, ESPN’s Buster Olney reports.
Friends of Cody Ross believe BOS is in the lead in his neg. on 3-year deal. But sources say there haven't been new talks in last few days.—
Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) November 27, 2012
Ross is reported to be asking for a three-year deal worth $25 million or more — figures not necessarily out of the range of Boston, but definitely not a no-brainer. There has also been speculation that Boston is waiting to make a move until it locks down some other positions on the team.
Ross hit .267 with 22 home runs and 81 RBIs in 130 games last year.