Director of Production/Sr. Coordinating Producer
The New England Sports Network (NESN) is owned by the Boston Red Sox and Boston Bruins and delivered to over 4 million homes throughout the six-state New England region and nationally as NESN National. The definitive source for New England sports programming, NESN has consistently been one of the top rated regional sports network in the country and was the first regional sports network in the country to originate every pro event and studio show in high definition.
NESN was launched in 1984 as one of the country’s first regional sports networks. We’re New England’s largest television network reaching over 4 million homes in 9 designated market areas. We provide extended basic cable channel + distribution on all major satellite providers and telecast approximately 150 Red Sox games throughout New England. A leader in high definition broadcasts, NESN produces all programs in HD from our 40,000 square foot, state-of–the art television center including two large studios, two large production control rooms, a graphics department and modern technical facilities. Further, we have HD studio setups on-site at both Red Sox and Bruins games. We had the highest baseball ratings of any regional sports network in the country from 2004 to 2009. NESN telecasts approximately 73 Bruins regular season games and the first two playoff rounds exclusively. We produce a large volume of original programs and special events including NESN Daily, Beanpot Hockey, Hockey East, Champions Cup Boston Tennis, Minor League Baseball and the Little League New England Regional Tournament. Our television center is located 5 miles from downtown Boston in Watertown, MA
Reporting to the Vice President, Programming & Production/Executive Producer, the Director of Production/Sr. Coordinating Producer will lead, manage and coordinate all aspects of NESN’s network broadcast center productions. Responsibilities include leading, mentoring, developing and overseeing the development of a senior production management team and staff, on air talent, a communicative and collaborative culture, and a best in class production and original programming organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Anticipate, direct, manage, and develop/mentor the broadcast center studio production management team to ensure their supervisory, managerial and editorial skills support and facilitate an open, collaborative and high performance environment; lead the team in successfully developing and implementing a talent strategy to meet current and future business needs.
- Oversee on air talent, including hosts, reporters and analysts
- Manage, contribute and provide guidance on complex productions and production business plans while directing a staff responsible for the creative and content aspects, production processes, programs, features and/or interactive/digital content of the networks.
- Translate approved strategies for the division into short term objectives and plans
- Accountability for the management of a production division or a major section of work
- Anticipate and develop production process workflow, processes, business cases and execution plans.
- Collaborate with the VP of Production & Programming for strategic development of shows, events, projects and on-air talent.
- Collaborate with the Director of Network Operations for planning, anticipating operational needs, and executing cross department projects.
- Collaborate with the VP of Production & Programming to create business justifications for anticipated needs and new network projects.
- Interact with management to keep abreast of unit objectives
- Interact with direct reports, peers, customers and vendors to interpret information and improve cross functional processes and programs.
- Obtain and allocate resources to meet operating plans
- Direct the work of CP-level managers and below, along with their teams as well as manage the activities of producing personnel and on air talent ensuring their personal development.
- Collaborate with the VP of Production & Programming, sales, marketing and promotions to maximize programs’ revenue potential.
- Lead, guide and oversee the execution of the creative vision of programs and ensure vision is maintained.
- Research, direct and ensure the timely availability of important resources, talent and equipment as well as anticipating and resolving problems/conflicts that would hinder the completion of programs within budget and according to specification.
- Collaborate to develop and manage capital budgets and justifications; partner with Finance to develop budgets, track costs, and provide pre-estimates and post-estimates for all network productions.
- Successfully engage in and complete other related responsibilities and projects as necessary
- 12+ years experience of television production management with studio and remote productions, on air talent, and live sports productions, including proven track record of editorial oversight of sports programming.
- 10 + years of live producing and/or directing experience with an emphasis in sports productions both in-studio and on-remote.
- 10+ years of managerial experience to include performance and career management, and employee relations; solid experience overseeing (indirect reporting relationships) teams consisting of 25+ regular full-time staff.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Proven ability to anticipate needs and plan accordingly, build strong partnerships across the organization, lead and manage groups through change and growth, and develop and manage a diverse workforce.
- Successful track record of managing up and across, and developing a strong business case for proposed changes; a business savvy professional.
- Solid ability to balance production needs with operational capabilities, and to provide solutions that address and balance both wherever applicable.
- Solid experience with process improvement, and identifying and leading operational changes for a TV network’s broadcast operations and production facilities.
- Strong working knowledge of sports broadcast technology and operational workflows
- Must be detail-oriented and have excellent problem solving skills
- Must have a track record of success working in a fast-paced, loosely structured environment which requires a hands-on work ethic.
- Willingness to work flexible hours overseeing live sports programming
- Successful with developing and managing budgets
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint is necessary
- Strong administrative, organizational and analytical skills
- Strong negotiation skills
TO APPLY: https://home.eease.com/recruit/?id=3149061
NESN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.