Brewers GM Doug Melvin Gets Stung by Scorpion, Spends Three Hours in Hospital After Arm Goes Numb

Doug MelvinDoug Melvin probably wouldn’t mind being in Milwaukee right about now.

Melvin was stung by a scorpion in Arizona on Wednesday night, which forced the Brewers general manager to spend three hours in a local hospital, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

While at his condo, Melvin reportedly reached down to pick up what he thought was a harmless bug with a Kleenex. What he really got was a handful of scorpion, which the bug apparently didn’t appreciate.

The scorpion reportedly bit Melvin on the middle finger of his left hand, and the GM soon began to feel numbness going up his arm. Melvin thus decided to do what most American citizens would do at that point: Google scorpion stings.

Following his Internet research, Melvin decided to go to the hospital.

“It stung me right through the Kleenex,” Melvin reportedly said. “My arm started swelling and then the numbness started going up my arm, like when you hit your funny bone. I was wondering if it might go all the way up my arm and go to my heart. I got nervous when it got up to my shoulder, so I went to the emergency room.

“They gave me [pain medication] and just watched me for a couple of hours. They said your vision can go blurry from that. It was more an education on it but my arm is still numb. First off, they tell you it’s not fatal. But you can have an allergic reaction to it and need an anti-venom injection.”

Fortunately, Melvin appears to be OK and in good spirits, even if his arm is still numb. In fact, he said that he doesn’t think the whole situation is that big of a deal.

Tell that to the scorpion, Doug. You clearly ticked him off.

Have a question for Ricky Doyle? Send it to him via Twitter at @TheRickyDoyle or send it here.

Photo via Wikipedia/Doug Melvin

Yardbarker

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 190,485 other followers