The big question — whether Jackie Bradley Jr. will be taking the field in the Bronx on Monday — is still unanswered, but two other players were assured spots Friday morning. Manager John Farrell said the roster will likely be finalized Sunday.
Mike Carp and Daniel Nava have been told they’ve made the roster, according to several reports. While Nava gave the shorthanded Red Sox a boost throughout last season, Carp was acquired Feb. 20 in a trade with the Mariners as the Red Sox looked for depth at a couple of positions.
“They just told me I’m on and told me what my role would be — left field, first base, a backup role,” he said, according to ESPN. “Get ready for the year. It’s going to be a fun year. It’s going to be a little different. I’ve always gone in being an everyday-type player — try to get as many at-bats as possible. It’s definitely going to be an adjustment period as far as that goes, but it’s not anything I don’t think I can’t handle.”
Carp played four years in Seattle, batting .255 with 18 home runs. His best year was 2011, when he hit .276 with 12 dingers in 79 games before being sidelined by injuries last year.
“I knew I was in a good position, especially playing first base and having the experience there,” Carp said, according to The Boston Globe. “But you never know until you get the final decision from the skipper himself. It was nice this morning to come, get pulled in the office and told. It’s a good feeling. You can have a good day and get ready for tomorrow and that flight to New York.”
While Carp and Nava have a spot, Bradley was waiting it out Friday.
“They haven’t given me any inclinations,” he said, according to ESPN. “Just playing the waiting game. I’ll be sitting right here in my lonely locker, just waiting.”
The Red Sox open the season against the Yankees on Monday at 1 p.m. Bradley is likely to get the final outfield spot now that Boston has passed on Lyle Overbay and Ryan Sweeney.