Corey Hart missed all of the 2013 season. Therefore, he represents somewhat of a gamble on the open market, even if he comes at a reduced price.
It appears that some teams are currently entertaining the idea of taking such a gamble. According to ESPN’s Jim Bowden, Hart said that his agent has talked with the Red Sox, Rays, Rockies and Brewers, among other interested teams.
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington has expressed a desire to re-sign first baseman Mike Napoli this offseason, and Napoli has previously professed his love for Boston. It’s certainly possible that the two sides will extend their relationship, in which case the Hart-to-Boston conversations would fizzle out, but the Sox must still prepare for the possibility that Napoli signs elsewhere. Hart, while a gamble, still comes with upside.
Hart had surgeries on both of his knees in 2013. The slugger hasn’t gotten 100 percent health clearance yet, although he has indicated that he’s 100 percent healthy. According to Bowden, Hart said that his clearance will come Dec. 3, when he returns to Los Angeles to visit his doctors.
Power is Hart’s biggest asset. He hit 30 home runs in 2012 and a career-high 31 blasts in 2010. The 31-year-old has eclipsed the 20-homer mark five times in his big league career and drove in 102 runs in 2010.
Hart, who has two All-Star selections with the Brewers on his resume, previously played the outfield. And while he’s considered by most to be a first baseman nowadays, he did tell Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he has dropped 20 pounds and is open to the idea of playing the outfield once again.[tweet https://twitter.com/JimBowdenESPNxm/status/402899565549858817 align=’center’] [tweet https://twitter.com/JimBowdenESPNxm/status/402898784478179328 align=’center’] [tweet https://twitter.com/Todd_Rosiak/status/402899133247156224 align=’center’]
Photo via Facebook/Corey Hart