Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston will not be charged with sexual assault, Florida State Attorney Willie Meggs announced Thursday.
“We’ve carefully examined all the evidence in this case, and have carefully concluded no charges will be filed against anyone in this case,” Meggs said (via CollegeFootballTalk).
Winston was the target of a three-week investigation after a 19-year-old fellow FSU student alleged that he sexually assaulted her at an off-campus apartment in December of last year.
An arrest warrant released prior to the announcement detailed the alleged incident, but Meggs announced that the investigation did not yield enough evidence to merit any charges.
“We have a duty as prosecution to only file those charges if we have a reasonable likelihood of a conviction,” Meggs said. “After reviewing all the events we did not feel we could meet that burden.”
Winston, a Heisman Trophy favorite, is likely to start for the Seminoles against Duke in the ACC Championship Game on Saturday.