The Boston Police Department has been investigating Aaron Hernandez‘s connection to a 2012 double murder for a few months now, and they seem to finally have formed their opinion on the former New England Patriots tight end’s involvement.
New documents in the investigation confirm for the first time that Boston police say Hernandez was the shooter in the double murder, according to Wesley Lowery of The Boston Globe.
The affidavit, which was prepared by Bristol police based on Boston police’s investigation, says there is “probable cause to believe that Aaron Hernandez was operating the suspect vehicle used in the shooting homicides of Daniel Abreu and Safiro Furtado and may have been the shooter.”
A search warrant released earlier this month revealed new details about the night in question. The warrant said Hernandez was inside the silver SUV involved in a drive-by shooting that left Abreu and Furtado dead and another man injured early July 16, 2012. The SUV, now identified as a Toyota 4Runner, according to FOX Sports, was found parked in the garage of a home owned by Hernandez’s uncle last year.
Hernandez was identified as the shooter in October by a witness in the car in which Abreu and Furtado were riding. This is the first time police have said Hernandez might have been the trigger man, though.
Hernandez, 24, already is in jail, awaiting trial on a first-degree murder charge in the Odin Lloyd case. He only became a suspect in the 2012 case after the Lloyd murder charge aroused suspicion.