David Ortiz: ‘No Hurry’ On Receiving Contract Extension From Red Sox

David OrtizDavid Ortiz arrived at the Boston Red Sox’s spring training complex Tuesday, appearing relaxed about the possibility of a contract extension as he enters the final year of his deal.

“There’s no hurry with it,” the 38-year-old slugger told ESPNDeportes.com in Fort Myers, Fla. “The fact that I want another year is something normal between us players.”

Ortiz will make $15 million in 2014, but he’s slated to become a free agent at season’s end. The slugger hasn’t hid his desire to secure a one-year extension with the Red Sox during the offseason, and he also hasn’t shied from saying that he wants to stay in Boston.

“I’ve said many times and I will continue saying it: Boston is where I want to end my career,” Ortiz said. “The team knows it.”

Ortiz told WEEI.com last month that he hoped to sign a one-year extension so the contract talks didn’t become a distraction as the Red Sox defend their World Series title. The sides likely will engage in talks soon, but even though Ortiz reported to camp with his agent, Fernando Cuza, he said no negotiations have started yet.

“It’s just a routine visit. No business,” Cuza told ESPNDeportes.com. “So far we have not started any negotiations, but both Boston and Papi are open to sitting down to talk on the subject at any time in the next few days.”

Red Sox on Twitter

Yardbarker

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 184,059 other followers