The Fourth of July usually is a joyous occasion, as cities and towns across the country celebrate their patriotism with some impressive fireworks displays.
The Lancaster JetHawks got in on the action Saturday, but the results weren’t exactly what they had planned.
The JetHawks, the Class-A affiliate of the Houston Astros, hosted a special fireworks night, complete with a patriotic T-shirt giveaway and fireworks show.
The T-shirt giveaway went well; the fireworks show did not.
In a scary moment at “The Hangar” in Lancaster, Calif., the outfield wall caught fire in left field during the postgame show. Fortunately, there were no reports of injury in the blaze, but it did produce some rather impressive photos. [tweet https://twitter.com/Eric_L_Smith/statuses/485642019146956800 align=’center’] [tweet https://twitter.com/samzimmmer/statuses/485645513564233729 align=’center’] [tweet https://twitter.com/mayasugarman/statuses/485641828079661057 align=’center’]
A few fans even caught the fire on video.
The JetHawks ended up winning the game 6-5, but they might need to get a different fireworks guy next year.