BOSTON — The Red Sox continued their limp toward the All-Star break Tuesday.
The Red Sox were handed an 8-3 loss by the Chicago White Sox at Fenway Park. Boston now is 12 games below .500 (39-51) with five games remaining before the break.
The Red Sox have a lot to figure out before the July 31 trade deadline. Let’s go over Tuesday’s developments.
— Brandon Workman tossed seven innings in a losing effort. He surrendered five runs (three earned) on a career-high eight hits, including a huge home run in the sixth inning that stopped Boston’s momentum dead in its tracks.
The Red Sox’s offense showed life in the fifth inning, scoring three runs to tie the game at three apiece. Workman surrendered a two-run homer to Conor Gillaspie in the sixth, though, and the White Sox never looked back.
— Chicago’s first two runs were unearned. Mike Napoli made an error in the second inning while attempting to transfer the ball from his glove to his throwing hand with the bases loaded and no outs.
The Red Sox have committed nine errors over their last five games.
“Any time you give extra outs, you’re asking for trouble at this level,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said after the game. “To me, it’s been uncharacteristic with as well as we’ve played defensively I think overall (this season). But you can’t deny the fact that over the last five games we’ve given up a number of extra outs that have led to runs and have come back to haunt us.”
— Napoli had a good night at the plate, going 3-for-3 and reaching base four times.
— Brock Holt and Dustin Pedroia each collected two hits. Boston produced 10 as a team.
— The Red Sox left the bases loaded in the first inning and the fourth inning.
Jonny Gomes grounded into an inning-ending double play in the first. Mookie Betts hit a dribbler in front of home plate in the fourth.
— David Ross threw out two would-be base stealers. He has thrown out 29.2 percent of attempted base stealers (seven of 24) this season.
— Workman was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket after the game. Rubby De La Rosa was called up to start Wednesday against Chris Sale.
Workman could be back before long, but he admitted he was disappointed by the news.
“Definitely it’s not ideal. It’s not what I was hoping to hear after the game,” Workman said. “But it’s part of just keep getting my work in, keep getting better and get ready to throw again.”
— Jake Peavy was the subject of trade rumors all day Tuesday. The 33-year-old addressed the speculation before and after the game, professing his love for Boston in both instances while also acknowledging that he understands the business of baseball.
“My love for the Boston Red Sox will be unbreakable,” Peavy said after the game. “I spent over eight years in San Diego and spent over four years in Chicago — two places I dearly love. What we did last year (in Boston) is all you ever dream of doing. When you do that, this place is held in the highest regard it could ever be held in.
“That being said, I will always want to do what’s best for the Boston Red Sox. That could be very possibly mean me being moved to save money, or get a player or two, or create a roster space for somebody to come up and take my spot. That’s the reality of the situation.”
Peavy always has worn his heart on his sleeve. This situation is no different, and he has handled it like a true professional.
— Will Middlebrooks went 1-for-4 with an RBI double in a rehab start with Pawtucket. He served as the club’s DH for nine innings.
— Shane Victorino suffered another setback with his ailing back. He’s expected to begin a rehab assignment Thursday at the earliest.