According to the Boston Herald, right-hander Brad Penny requested, and was granted, his release from the Red Sox on Wednesday night following Boston's 3-2 win over the White Sox.
“I asked for my release, and I got it,” Penny told the Herald. “I enjoyed playing with all of the guys. I played for a great manager on a great team. I had a great time. I enjoyed it. I wish things had worked out better, but that happens.”
Penny's departure opens up a spot on the roster for reliever Billy Wagner, who was acquired from the Mets earlier this week and is expected to join the team Thursday for its series finale with the White Sox. Penny is expected to go on waivers Thursday and clear Monday. While on waivers, he may speak with other teams but cannot sign with any until he clears waivers.
Penny, who was limited to just 19 games last season due to injury, isn't viewing his experience in Boston as a complete loss.
“I had some bad breaks and made some bad pitches,” said Penny, who owns a 101-83 record and 4.18 ERA in 273 career games. “But I’m healthy, and that’s what I’m happy about. This isn’t last year, when I was hurt. If that had been the case, I’d be upset. All in all, I had a great time here. My shoulder is healthy, and I’m glad I came here. It was a blessing.”
In 24 starts this year for the Sox, Penny went 7-8 with a 5.61 ERA. After a 6-2 start, things fell apart for the veteran righty in late June when he began a cold streak and went 1-6 up until the point of his release. Penny never pitched more than six innings in any of his 2009 starts and has allowed 20 earned runs on 30 hits in his last 21 2/3 innings pitched.
According to a report in The Boston Globe, Penny had a small meeting with Red Sox owner John Henry, general manager Theo Epstein, director of baseball operations Brian O'Halloran and manager Terry Francona after Wednesday's win.
Powered by WordPress.com VIP