Liverpool didn't look like it needed any help at the back on Monday against Aston Villa, but Roy Hodgson and Damien Comolli are still working hard to improve the team's injury-beleaguered defense.
According to L'Equipe, Liverpool could be imminently making a move for Rennes defender Rod Fanni. The 29-year-old right back has long been linked to a move to the Premier League and has been on Hodgson's radar for quite some time.
The immediate impetus for the sale is that Ligue A champions Marseille have lost Cesar Azpilicueta for the year and are interested in Fanni. Rennes, near the top of the French league themselves, do not want to sell to their rivals, and are instead keen on offloading Fanni to Anfield.
Rennes general manager Pierre Dreossi said of the situation: "A decision will be made within 48 hours."
The $5 million (3 million pound) defender would provide cover for Glen Johnson at the right back position. Johnson had a slow start to the season and struggled with injury, but has recently appeared to regain his form — particularly as an attacking threat.
In efforts to further sure up the defense, Liverpool may also pursue Serbia's Neven Subotic. The 21-year-old center back played every single minute of Bundesliga competition last year and has led Borussia Dortmund to a shocking first-place run.
Arsene Wenger is a known fan of Subotic's, and Chelsea and Manchester United are said to be tracking the 6-foot-4 back as well. Liverpool have also been reportedly been interested in Gary Cahill and Ryan Shawcross, but Subotic is apparently the "first choice." He is valued at approximately $21 million (13 million pounds).
See some of Fanni's skills below.
Powered by WordPress.com VIP