Ray Allen confirmed on Friday night that indeed, just as teammate Paul Pierce had suspected, Allen would be a contestant in the NBA's All-Star three-point shootout in Los Angeles later this month.
"They asked me last week," Allen said, referring to the Celtics' game against the Wizards on Jan. 22. "I told them already that I would do it last week."
This will be Allen's sixth career appearance in the shootout, moving him one closer to tying Craig Hodges' record of eight. Allen was a contestant in 2000-02, as well as 2005-06. He won the 2001 edition, besting Peja Stojakovic in the final.
Allen was a must-invite for this year's shootout — with the Celtics' veteran guard just eight 3-pointers away from tying Reggie Miller for the all-time record, his knack for the long ball needed to be on display at the Staples Center on Feb. 19. Allen will also play for the Eastern Conference squad in the All-Star Game the following night, having been selected as a reserve on Thursday evening.
No word yet on whether Paul Pierce, the reigning champion, will be back to defend his title against his Celtic teammate.
Powered by WordPress.com VIP