COLUMBUS, Ohio — Terrelle Pryor's career at Ohio State, which started with so much promise and potential, has come to an abrupt and scandal-ridden end.
The Ohio State quarterback announced through his attorney on Tuesday that he would not play for the Buckeyes this season.
"In the best interests of my teammates, I've made the decision to forgo my senior year of football at The Ohio State University," Pryor said in a statement issued by Columbus lawyer Larry James.
Pryor will most likely make himself available for an NFL supplemental draft.
"I would hope so. Also, he would hope so," James said. "But he's going to take the next couple of days to get his head together."
The Cleveland Plain Dealer first reported Pryor's announcement.
Pryor had already been suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season for accepting improper benefits from a Columbus tattoo parlor owner. The NCAA is looking into all aspects of Ohio State's once-glittering program, from cash and tattoos to players, cars and other potential violations.
Pryor's announcement comes just eight days after Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel was forced to resign for knowing about the players' improper benefits.
"He did not want to be a a distraction to his teammates," James said. "This is something he came to consider after much thought."
Ohio State's athletic director, Gene Smith, quickly issued a statement wishing Pryor the best.
"We understand Terrelle's decision and wish him well in this next phase of his life," Smith said. "We hope he returns to The Ohio State University one day to finish his degree."
Luke Fickell, who will serve as Ohio State's interim head coach in place of Tressel this fall, found out about Pryor's decision on Tuesday night.
"I was notified this evening that Terrelle has decided to pursue a professional career," Fickell said. "I wish him the best in his pursuits."
Powered by WordPress.com VIP