ORLANDO, Fla. — Tiger Woods will miss another golf tournament as he recovers from injuries to his left leg, saying Wednesday he will not play in the AT&T National next week outside Philadelphia.
“Doctor’s orders,” Woods posted on Twitter.
He said he would be at Aronomink to support the tournament, which benefits the Tiger Woods Foundations. Woods said he is “feeling stronger,” but is still not 100 percent.
Woods, who has slipped to No. 17 in the world ranking, has not completed a tournament since he tied for fourth at the Masters. He said he hurt his left knee and Achilles hitting a shot on the 17th hole of the third round from an awkward stance in the pine straw.
He tried to compete in The Players Championship, but withdrew after nine holes.
The next tournament on the list is the British Open, which starts July 14 at Royal St. George’s in England. Woods did not mention whether he planned to play the next major. If he did, that would mean two months without any competition before playing the British Open.
Woods is scheduled to be at Aronomink next week, to sign the “We Salute Our Heroes” tribute wall in which fans can write personal messages to the U.S. military. He has a news conference Tuesday afternoon, and is expected to take part in the military opening ceremony on Wednesday.
Woods won the AT&T National in 2009 when it was played at Congressional. It moved to Aronomink for two years because Congressional hosted the U.S. Open last week, won in record fashion by Rory McIlroy.
A year ago at Aronomink, Woods failed to break par in any of the four rounds — the first time he had done that in a regular PGA Tour event in 11 years — and tied for 46th.
Powered by WordPress.com VIP