Red Sox slugger David Ortiz commented on his contract situation with the team prior to the Boston Baseball Writers' Dinner on Thursday.
When asked if there would be an agreement before the February arbitration hearings begin, Ortiz responded, "It doesn't seem like it right now," he told WEEI.com.
Ortiz previously turned down a two-year deal that would pay the designated hitter $9 million per season. Ortiz and his agent, Fern Cuza, submitted an arbitration figure of $16.5 million while the Red Sox submitted an offer of only $12.65 million.
"This is the first time I've paid attention to it," Ortiz told WEEI.com. "It might be a big deal, but it doesn't seem like it to me."
The Red Sox were able to reach an agreement with Jacoby Ellsbury before entering arbitration, but will most likely fail to do the same with Ortiz. Arbitration hearings are held throughout the MLB from Feb. 1-20.
Powered by WordPress.com VIP