The ongoing Lukas Podolski to Arsenal FC transfer saga took a twist on Saturday. Arsene Wenger and the FC Cologne forward denied that he had already signed with the Gunners.
Last week, several news outlets reported that Cologne agreed to sell Podolski to Arsenal for £10.9 million ($17.2 million). It is thought that negotiations between the player and club were going smoothly and were nearing completion.
FIFA.com reports Wenger admitted the deal had yet to be completed during his Friday press conference.
"I have not a lot to say about that because if we sign a player we will inform you," Wenger said. "At the moment we have not signed anybody. There is still no agreement.
"The distance to the agreement is not always linked with the signing. When you are very close you are quickly very far again, but Podolski is a good player, I wouldn't deny that."
Podolksi remains committed to helping Cologne escape relegation. It's likely that there will be no formal announcement transfer for another month or two. He made it clear that he has not signed a contract with Arsenal in comments he made to German Sky Sports.
"Contrary to the reports of the past few days, nothing has been decided yet," the 26-year-old said. "If there is something to report, I'll let you know."
At this point it seems like it is only a matter of time before Podolski heads to North London.
Thumbnail photo via Flickr/sdhansay
Powered by WordPress.com VIP