It appears that the Red Sox have indeed reached out to Jarrod Saltalamacchia.
Saltalamacchia’s agent, Jim Munsey, told MLB Trade Rumors’ Tim Dierkes and WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford that the Red Sox have called to express interest in potentially re-signing the catcher. The contact between the two sides, according to Bradford, occurred later in the day Monday.
Saltalamacchia, who is a free agent, told WEEI.com earlier in the day Monday that multiple teams reached out to him following the World Series, but that he hadn’t really had much conversation with the Red Sox. The apparent lack of communication caught Saltalamacchia by surprise, although the 28-year-old did note during his WEEI podcast that he might have been premature in pointing it out because it was entirely possible that the Red Sox had indeed called and that he just wasn’t aware yet.
The Red Sox did not offer a $14.1 million qualifying offer to Saltalamacchia despite the catcher’s strong 2013 campaign. The Sox did, however, extend qualifying offers to Jacoby Ellsbury, Mike Napoli and Stephen Drew.
Saltalamacchia hit .273 with 14 home runs, 65 RBIs and 40 doubles in 121 regular-season games in 2013.
Powered by WordPress.com VIP