Italian head coach Cesare Prandelli has seen enough.
Italy dropped a 1-0 decision to Uruguay on Tuesday, ending its run at the 2014 FIFA World Cup and marking the second time in as many World Cups that the Azzurri have failed to advance out of their group.
Prandelli was harshly critical of his game plan during his postgame news conference, and he wasted no time in dropping a major announcement.
“I talked to the president of the (Italian Football) Federation and Demetrio Albertini, and gave my resignation,” Prandelli told reporters, via FIFA.com. “The technical setup didn’t work, and I take all responsibility for that. Something has changed since my contract was renewed. I don’t know why. I chose a certain technical plan and that’s why I am resigning, because it did not work.”
Italian FA president Giancarlo Abete announced his resignation after the loss, as well, but he said he hopes he can convince Prandelli to change his mind.
“When we get back (to Italy), I will call a meeting with the Federation and hope (Prandelli) will withdraw (his resignation),” Abete said. “I had already made my own decision before the World Cup.”
Prandelli took over as national team head coach after the 2010 World Cup, posting a 15-13-16 record in international play and leading the team to the UEFA Euro final in 2012. His squad defeated England 2-1 in its opening game in Brazil, but consecutive 1-0 losses to Costa Rica and Uruguay sealed its fate.
Photo via Twitter/@Football_SL
Powered by WordPress.com VIP