Mario Balotelli is no closer to Anfield than he was when he played for Manchester City — just 35 miles north-east of Liverpool.
Reports claiming Liverpool had made a £17.5 million ($29 million) transfer bid for Balotelli emerged in the Italian media on Tuesday, according to the Manchester Evening news.
The Mirror reports AC Milan denied those rumors Wednesday when club vice president Adriano Galliani told the Gazzetta dello Sport that Liverpool hadn’t made the offer.
“At this time we have not received any offer from Liverpool for Balotelli,” Galliani said. “Hence, there is no negotiation.”
But Galliani didn’t rule out the possibility of Balotelli leaving the club before the transfer window closes at midnight on Aug. 31.
“We will see as the transfer market ends on September 1,” Galliani said when asked if Balotelli could switch teams this month.
Balotelli was rumored to be among Liverpool’s transfer targets earlier this summer, but manager Brendan Rodgers refuted those reports earlier this month.
“I can categorically tell you Mario Balotelli will not be at Liverpool,” Rodgers said during an Aug. 3 press conference, according to the Guardian.
Balotelli spent two-and-a-half seasons at Manchester City before leaving for AC Milan in January 2013. Balotelli has scored 30 goals in 54 games for AC Milan, but the club is looking to cash in on the star striker this summer, according to multiple reports. Balotelli also has been linked with Arsenal and Chelsea in 2014.
Powered by WordPress.com VIP