The Boston Red Sox are serious about reuniting with Jon Lester.
The Red Sox made a contract offer to Lester when he met with the team’s owners earlier this week, a major league source told ESPN.com’s Gordon Edes. The offer was “aggressive” and longer than the four-year contract the Red Sox offered Lester in March, an industry source told CSNNE.com’s Sean McAdam.
The terms of the Red Sox’s most recent offer are unknown, but it’s likely Lester will continue to test the open market. Edes’ source said he didn’t expect Lester to make a quick decision.
Lester visited with the Chicago Cubs on Tuesday and was scheduled to meet with the Atlanta Braves on Thursday, sources told ESPN.com’s Buster Olney. The St. Louis Cardinals and Toronto Blue Jays also are believed to be interested in the free-agent pitcher, according to reports.
The Red Sox haven’t been shy about expressing their interest in Lester, who spent his first eight-plus seasons in Boston before being traded to the Oakland Athletics along with outfielder Jonny Gomes in exchange for outfielder Yoenis Cespedes at this year’s Major League Baseball non-waiver trade deadline. The question, of course, has been whether the Red Sox will meet the left-hander’s financial demands, as the club previously has shown reluctance to hand out long-term contracts to pitchers older than 30.
Lester, who turns 31 in January, is coming off the best season of his nine-year career. The three-time All-Star went 16-11 with a 2.46 ERA in 32 starts split between Boston and Oakland.
Thumbnail photo via Greg M. Cooper/USA TODAY Sports Images
Powered by WordPress.com VIP