Brendan Rodgers Happy With Liverpool Squad After ‘Quiet’ Transfer Window


Liverpool’s squad will remain as it now is for the rest of the 2014-15 season, for better or for worse.

Brendan Rodgers told reporters Monday that Liverpool wouldn’t sign new players on transfer deadline day, according to LiverpoolFC.com. Liverpool recalled Jordon Ibe from loan and retained all of its regular senior players during the January transfer window, which makes Rodgers confident that the Reds’ continued development will propel them toward a successful conclusion to the season.

“With the group of players we have — and obviously the market dictates it as well — I am happy with how the team and the squad is developing and between now and the end of the season we’ll look to continue with that improvement,” Rodgers said. “We would want to keep all the players here.”

Lucas Leiva and Mario Balotelli were among the Liverpool players linked with moves elsewhere in January, but Rodgers was prepared to resist offers for them. Ultimately, no teams bid for the duo.

Rodgers said the inward-facing strategy was Liverpool’s “Plan A” in the January transfer market. Liverpool considered signing a number of transfer targets last month but ultimately decided not to spend in order to address its on-field problems. Instead, Liverpool changed its tactics, which has improved results and performances in recent weeks.

“That’s the first thought — look from within,” Rodgers said. “Of course, you always have to look for that star quality and if it’s not available, you work with what you’ve got.”

Ibe has joined an increasingly confident group that is pursuing a top-four finish in the Premier League as well as victory in the FA Cup and the UEFA Europa League. Rodgers says the Reds have enough talent and desire to hit their targets. Time will prove him correct or incorrect.

Thumbnail photo via Tim Ireland/The Associated Press

TMZ logo

© 2018 NESN

Partner of USATODAY Sports Digital Properties