Cristiano Ronaldo isn’t trying to win the FIFA Ballon d’Or and the Humanitarian of the year award in the same year, after all.
Ronaldo didn’t make a €7 million ($7.8 million) donation to Save the Children’s Nepal earthquake relief efforts, the organization announced Thursday. So Foot reported last week Ronaldo made the donation, and media outlets around the world cited the French magazine when they shared the story of the soccer superstar’s generosity. Save the Children denied So Foot’s Ronaldo report.
“The global ambassador for Save the Children, Cristiano Ronaldo, has used his voice and his global visibility to raise awareness of the problems faced by the most vulnerable children around the world, including those affected by the earthquake in Nepal,” the organization said in a statement. “The latest information on the donation of Cristiano Ronaldo to the emergency response of Save the Children in Nepal is false,” Save the Children said in a statement. “After the second earthquake, which has brought further devastation to the country, the NGO wants to thank Cristiano Ronaldo and other influential people for their support in publicizing the situation facing children and families in Nepal.”
More than 8,000 people died in the April 25 earthquake, which registered 7.8 on the Richter scale, and its aftermath. It was the worst earthquake in Nepal since 1934, according to the Associated Press. Another powerful earthquake, registering 7.3, shook Nepal on Tuesday.
Thumbnail photo via Daniel Ochoa de Olza/The Associated Press