Clay Buchholz will be on the shelf for longer than originally anticipated.
Boston Red Sox manager John Farrell told reporters Wednesday in Houston that Buchholz received a platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injection in his injured right elbow from Dr. James Andrews, who confirmed the team’s initial diagnosis of a strained flexor muscle.
“The diagnosis was consistent,” Farrell said, via MassLive.com. “And at the time Clay was examined in Boston, no ligament issues, still the same flexor tendon area. At the time there was discussion of a PRP injection, which he opted not to go through. Then upon the second opinion today, the diagnosis was still consistent but Dr. Andrews talked to (Red Sox team doctor Dr. James Ansis) back here. Again, he recommended a PRP injection so as of today, Clay did go ahead with that injection.”
Farrell said the injection will extend Buchholz’s recovery time but added that he does expect the right-hander to pitch again this season.
“There’s going to be a little bit of a shutdown time now as a result, which is consistent with a PRP injection,” Farrell told reporters. “The total time with that is, the total time of shutdown is yet to be determined. But as he’s been playing light catch of late, that will now be stopped.”
Buchholz was placed on the 15-day disabled list July 11 after leaving a July 10 start against the New York Yankees with tightness in his throwing elbow. He had been the Red Sox’s most consistent starting pitcher before going down, allowing one earned run or fewer in each of his last five starts.
Red Sox right-hander Brandon Workman received a PRP injection from Andrews earlier this season only to undergo Tommy John surgery two months later.
Thumbnail photo via Jesse Johnson/USA TODAY Sports Images
Powered by WordPress.com VIP