Joe Kelly is headed back to the majors — for the time being, at least.
Kelly, who has spent the last month with Triple-A Pawtucket, will start Wednesday for the Boston Red Sox as they continue their series with the Houston Astros, manager John Farrell told reporters Tuesday.
The 27-year-old right-hander was sent down June 25 after posting a 5.67 ERA in 14 starts with the Red Sox this season. He has fared better in the four starts he has made since his demotion, posting a 2.84 ERA and 1.05 WHIP over 19 innings with the PawSox.
“The power is there,” Farrell told reporters, via MassLive.com. “There has been, last time out, almost the tale of two performances inside of one game where he was dominant the first couple of innings and then some foul balls, high pitch counts after that.
“There’s been more of an effort and emphasis on throwing the ball in to right-handers and using both sides of the plate.”
Kelly’s return to the big leagues might not last long, however. Sunday’s rainout in Anaheim and the ensuing Monday doubleheader left Boston short a starter, necessitating a roster move. Kelly could stick around, but Farrell wouldn’t commit to it.
“Again, we needed this start here,” he told reporters. “We’re really focused on the next five (days).”
The Red Sox entered Tuesday’s series opener in Houston having lost each of their last five games.
Thumbnail photo via Bob DeChiara/USA TODAY Sports Images
Powered by WordPress.com VIP