BOSTON — Clay Buchholz’s 2015 season might be over. Or maybe not.
Buchholz, who hasn’t pitched since July 10 because of a right elbow strain, is in the midst of a “no-throw situation,” acting Red Sox manager Torey Lovullo revealed before Friday night’s game against the Kansas City Royals at Fenway Park. According to Lovullo, the club hasn’t determined whether Buchholz will pitch again this season.
“He feels good enough to throw, but we are evaluating him daily to see where he’s at,” Lovullo said. “I know that he’s had an opinion (from Dr. James Andrews) where he can start to throw, but we’re not going to rush anything that he’s not ready to do.”
Buchholz, who received a plasma-rich platelet injection after the All-Star break, visited with Dr. Andrews last week during the Red Sox’s series against the Marlins in Miami. The right-hander sounded cautiously optimistic about his chances of returning this season following the check-up, but Friday’s news adds an interesting twist to the ongoing Buchholz saga.
“We’re still working through what that discussion was,” Lovullo said Friday. “He wasn’t cleared 100 percent to begin all throwing activities (after last week’s visit).”
Lovullo made it clear Buchholz didn’t suffer a setback, so yes, the situation is somewhat confusing. There obviously is no timetable for the pitcher’s return, though, and time certainly isn’t working in his favor.
Thumbnail photo via Bob DeChiara/USA TODAY Sports Images
Powered by WordPress.com VIP