Hardy said in a statement released through the NFL Players Association on Thursday that he is “absolutely determined that my issue is not going to be a distraction for the Cowboys.”
The former Carolina Panther was suspended 10 games by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell after the league concluded through evidence obtained from his trial in North Carolina that he roughed up his former girlfriend, Nicole Holder, in May 2014. An arbitrator reduced the suspension on appeal.
Hardy was convicted by a judge last year, but the conviction was thrown out on appeal in February when Holder couldn’t be located to testify in a jury trial. Hardy missed all but one game with Carolina last year while on the commissioner’s exempt list, but received his $13 million salary.
Hardy will be eligible to return when the New England Patriots visit the Cowboys on Oct. 11.
The Cowboys signed Hardy to a one-year, $13.1 million contract that’s heavily based on incentives, including some related to how many games he plays. He participated in the offseason program and training camp and played in three of the four preseason games.
“I have enormous affection and respect for everyone here, and having seen the impact a court case can have on an NFL organization, I believe it is in the team’s best interest for me to announce that I will not pursue any further litigation,” Hardy said.
Hardy had 26 sacks in his last two full seasons with the Panthers. He tied a franchise record with 15 in 2013.
“Everything I do from this point on will be designed to bring glory and pride to my family, their family and this team,” Hardy said.
Thumbnail photo via Matthew Emmons/USA TODAY Sports Images
Thumbnail photo via Dallas Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy (76) on the sidelines during the game against the Minnesota Vikings at AT&T Stadium.
Powered by WordPress.com VIP