David Beckham has done a lot in soccer, but don’t expect him to bark out orders from the sidelines anytime soon.
Beckham told British newspaper The Star on Sunday he’ll resist any urge to interfere with on-field matters as owner of his MLS expansion franchise in Miami. The former England and Manchester United star will leave team matters in the hands of whomever he hires to coach the team.
“I definitely won’t get involved in team decisions, though — the way players are playing and things like that,” Beckham said. “The hairdryer? Well, I’ve seen it enough times and I know how it works on the positive side of things. We’ll see.
“But I’m not going to manage or coach. I won’t get involved in any of that. I will just be the owner.”
Beckham announced with great fanfare last year he had exercised his option to purchase the operating rights to an MLS expansion franchise and would base the team in Miami. He has since struggled to find a suitable location for a stadium but offers assurances he will turn his childhood dream of owning a team into a reality by the 2018 MLS season.
“We’re in a very good position – better than we were a year ago,” Beckham told The Star. “So hopefully in the next six weeks we’ll be able to announce the site of the stadium, the stadium plans, and then we’ll move on — it’s really exciting.”
Beckham repeatedly said in the interview he’ll be a “demanding” owner. Unfortunately for the drama-nuts among us, he won’t follow Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones in the tradition of colorful owners who apparently think they know how to run their team better than the coaches and general mangers they hire to do so.
Report: Beckham wants Wayne Rooney for Miami MLS team >>
Thumbnail photo via Twitter/@mtiraaz