The New England Patriots aren’t like many NFL teams that will overrate a player because of his dazzling 40-yard dash.
If it wasn’t already apparent, it became so when ESPN.com revealed the Patriots have the second slowest offensive weapons in the NFL behind the Green Bay Packers.
ESPN averaged the 40-yard dash times of each team’s top three wide receivers and their top tight end to derive the score, using NFL Scouting Combine and pro day testing numbers.
The Patriots don’t have any true burners on their roster, but they do value agility and explosion. NESN.com recorded every player’s testing numbers from the combine and pro days when they came out of college and into the draft.
Here are the top five Patriots in each combine drill:
1. WR Aaron Dobson: 4.37 seconds
2. CB Darryl Roberts: 4.38 seconds
3t. CB Rashaan Melvin: 4.42 seconds
3t. CB Tarell Brown: 4.42 seconds
5. Safety Dewey McDonald: 4.43 seconds
1. CB Darryl Roberts: 2.50 seconds
2. CB Tarell Brown: 2.54 seconds
3. RB Dion Lewis: 2.54 seconds
4t. RB LeGarrette Blount: 2.56 seconds
4t. Safety Tavon Wilson: 2.56 seconds
1. CB Darryl Roberts: 1.48 seconds
2. WR Aaron Dobson: 1.51 seconds
2. LB Jerod Mayo: 1.51 seconds
2. RB Tyler Gaffney: 1.51 seconds
2. RB Dion Lewis: 1.51 seconds
1. FB James Develin: 39 reps
2t. OT Marcus Cannon: 33 reps
2t. DT Alan Branch: 33 reps
4. OT Sebastian Vollmer: 32 reps
5t. LS Joe Cardona: 30 reps
5t. DT Chris Jones: 30 reps
5t. FB Joey Iosefa: 30 reps
1. LB Jamie Collins: 41.5 inches
2. LB Jerod Mayo: 40.5 inches
3t. WR Keshawn Martin: 39.5 inches
3t. WR Brian Tyms: 39.5 inches
5t. Safety Nate Ebner: 39 inches
5t. CB Darryl Roberts: 39 inches
1. LB Jamie Collins: 11 feet, 7 inches
2. CB Darryl Roberts: 11-1
3. WR Brian Tyms: 10-10
4. Safety Nate Ebner: 10-8
5t. LB Brandon King: 10-6
5t. CB Rashaan Melvin: 10-6
5t. Safety Devin McCourty: 10-6
1. WR Julian Edelman: 3.92 seconds
2. LB Eric Martin: 3.97 seconds
3. CB Justin Coleman: 3.98 seconds
4. Safety Nate Ebner: 4.04 seconds
5t. CB Logan Ryan: 4.06 seconds
5t. CB Darryl Roberts: 4.06 seconds
1. Safety Nate Ebner: 6.59 seconds
2. CB Justin Coleman: 6.61 seconds
3. WR Julian Edelman: 6.62 seconds
4. CB Darryl Roberts: 6.66 seconds
5t. CB Logan Ryan: 6.69 seconds
5t. LB Eric Martin: 6.69 seconds
Check out every player’s combine and pro day performances:
Some other numbers that stood out:
— Blount’s 6.85-second three-cone is impressive for a running back his size.
— Vollmer, Kline and Mason are extremely athletic for 300-plus-pound offensive linemen. It’s not surprising Mason has been used at fullback this season.
— I’m not sure if I believe Butler’s testing numbers are correct. He’s a much better athlete on the football field and can keep up with speedy receivers.
— Chris Jones’ 7.34-second three-cone is crazy for a 302-pound player.
— Solder is the tallest player on the roster at 6-foot-8 and 1/4 inches. Lewis is the smallest at 5-foot-6 and 5/8 inches.
Thumbnail photo via Matthew Emmons/USA TODAY Sports Images
Powered by WordPress.com VIP