Red Sox Interested In Jonathan Papelbon? It’s ‘Worth Investigating,’ Says Dave Dombrowski

by

BOSTON — Jonathan Papelbon was released by the Washington Nationals on Saturday, sparking speculation and rumors about his future.

Could a reunion with the Boston Red Sox be in the cards? It sounds like team president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski will at least look at the possibility.

As for Papelbon himself, he’s reportedly interested in shipping back up to Boston.

Red Sox manager John Farrell was asked about Papelbon before Saturday night’s game against the Arizona Diamondbacks at Fenway Park, and he said the team hasn’t had any internal discussions on the 35-year-old reliever right now.

Boston certainly could use an upgrade to its bullpen, whether it comes from inside or outside the organization. The Red Sox bullpen ranks ninth among 15 American League teams with a 3.93 ERA, and it has struggled over the last week or so.

Papelbon saved 219 games for the Red Sox between 2005 and 2011, including a World Series run in 2007.

Thumbnail photo via Brad Mills/USA TODAY Sports Images

David Ortiz, Hanley Ramirez
Previous Article

DraftKings: David Ortiz, Miguel Cabrera Among Tom Caron’s Picks

USA swimmer Michael Phelps
Next Article

Watch Michael Phelps 4x100M Medley Olympic Race Online (Live Stream)

Picked For You