Thanks, but no thanks.
Ryan Lochte will be summoned to attend a criminal hearing in Brazil over a recent claim him and other U.S. Olympic swimmers were robbed at gunpoint during the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, a police official told FOX News on Thursday.
However, sources familiar with the situation told TMZ Sports that Lochte will not return to Brazil because police could detain him, prosecute him, jail him — do whatever they want, basically — and it makes no sense for him to expose himself to such possibilities.
There is no penalty for Lochte not appearing in front of Brazil’s Justice Department, but if he doesn’t appear, he won’t be able to engage in a plea deal, a police detective told FOX News.
Lochte, who returned to the U.S. last week, since has apologized for embellishing his version of what took place early in the morning Aug. 14. The 32-year-old initially said him and three teammates were robbed at gunpoint by armed men posing as police officers, but holes since have been poked in that story, leading to a strange fallout in which all we really know is that Lochte was very, very drunk.
Thumbnail photo via YouTube screen grab
Powered by WordPress.com VIP