Liverpool produced a stunning first-half display to record a 3-0 victory over Manchester City in the first leg of the Champions League quarterfinals on Wednesday night at Anfield.
In a scintillating opening period from Jurgen Klopp’s side, Mohamed Salah struck the game’s opening goal, profiting from Roberto Firmino’s persistence inside the penalty area to nudge in from close range.
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain then rasped in a second goal moments later when he took aim from 20 yards and arrowed into the corner, before Sadio Mane headed in the Reds’ third.
Liverpool was dealt a blow when Salah was forced from the field in the early stages of the second half due to injury, and City applied heavy pressure as they sought to reduce the arrears.
However, the Reds were able to remain resolute to ensure they take a healthy lead to the Etihad next week for the second leg.
The key points:
– Salah opens scoring with 12 minutes gone.
– Oxlade-Chamberlain slams home second shortly after.
– Mane heads in the third just after half-hour mark.
– Salah limps off after 52 minutes.
– Henderson yellow card rules him out of return meeting.
– Reds hold 3-0 aggregate lead in tie ahead of second leg at the Etihad next Tuesday.
Thumbnail photo via LiverpoolFC.com
Powered by WordPress.com VIP