Rajon Rondo Says He Will Return for Celtics Before All-Star Break

Rajon Rondo may finally be nearing a return for the Boston Celtics.

The point guard, who has not played since tearing his ACL on Jan. 25, 2013, said Friday that he plans to be back on the court for game action before the NBA All-Star Game, according to The Boston Globe’s Baxter Holmes. Rondo did not give an exact target date for his return, however.

It was rumored that Rondo may play a rehab stint for the Maine Red Claws, the Boston’s D-League affiliate, but he reportedly changed his mind after having a successful practice with the Celtics earlier this week in Denver.

“The initial decision, we were told, was that he would play [for Maine on Tuesday],” Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge told the Boston Herald, “but the [Celtics] had a great practice in Denver [on Monday] and I guess he wanted to stay with the team after that.”

The All-Star Game is scheduled for Sunday, Feb. 16 in New Orleans. At last count, Rondo ranked sixth among Eastern Conference guards in fan voting despite not playing in a single game this season. Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose, whose season was cut short after just 10 game, ranks third on that list.

Celtics on Twitter

Yardbarker

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 184,765 other followers