Is Tim Wakefield More Valuable as a Starter or Reliever?

2,316

With the return of Daisuke Matsuzaka and strong outings from Clay Buchholz, all signs are pointing to the bullpen for veteran hurler Tim Wakefield.

But Beth from Lowell wonders: “Is Tim Wakefield more valuable as a starter or reliever?”

If and when it happens, it wouldn’t be the first time Wake has called himself a reliever. In four straight seasons from 1999-2002, Wakefield made more appearances out of the pen than he did as a starter and even picked up 15 saves in 1999.

In 2,678 2/3 innings as a starter, Wakefield owns a 4.40 ERA and a .544
winning percentage (179-150). As a reliever, Wake has pitched 271 1/3
innings and has a 3.75 ERA with 22 saves.

But just because he’s had some familiarity coming out of the pen and is off to a rough start, does it mean he should be the one heading out to join Gary Tuck‘s troops instead of Dice-K and Buchholz?

As of 10 p.m., 60 percent of voters said Wakefield is more valuable to the Red Sox as a starter. The remaining 40 percent said Wakefield has more value to the team as a reliever.

By 8 a.m. on Saturday, more votes rolled in but the results remained the same.

So what do you think: Is Tim Wakefield more valuable as a starter or reliever?

Text ‘SOX1’ for starter or ‘SOX2’ for reliever to 542542. Results will be revealed later in the show and you can view the latest results and vote at NESN.com/kgb.

TMZ logo

© 2018 NESN

Partner of USATODAY Sports Digital Properties