David Ortiz is holding his annual Celebrity Golf Classic in the Dominican Republic to benefit the David Ortiz Children’s Fund, and the slugger is inviting some big names.
Among them is fellow big leaguer Placido Polanco, who just embarked on a playoff run with the Philadelphia Phillies. Though the Phillies were eliminated in the NLCS by the eventual champs, the San Francisco Giants, the veteran infielder took some time to answer a few questions prior to the event.
1. How long have you known David Ortiz and how did you get involved with this event?
I have known David since Little League in the Dominican Republic. I got involved in the event because David invited me and because it is a great cause.
2. Does getting eliminated from the playoffs become easier to swallow when the team that knocked you out goes on to win the World Series?
Yes, it is easy to swallow because you lost to the world champion not to a team that got lucky against us.
3. Does Roy Halladay impress you more and more with each start?
Yes,but this guy prepares better than any other player I have played with, and this is for every game.
4. Like David did in Boston, and like Manny Ramirez did at Fenway Park, you celebrated your U.S. citizenship with the fans in Detroit. How special was that moment?
It was a very special moment.
5. Who’s the toughest Red Sox pitcher to face?
The third annual David Ortiz Celebrity Golf Classic is Dec. 2-5 at the Punta Espada Golf Club in the Dominican Republic. Click here for more information. If you will be unable to attend the event, you can participate in the online auction.