Just a couple weeks ago, Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner announced that the Yankees were prepared to make a “significant offer” to impending free agent second baseman Robinson Cano. However, apparently the team has already done just that.
Clearing up some confusing as to whether the team was planning to offer Cano an extension or had already done so, general manager Brian Cashman spoke on the issue Thursday after a radio interview, according to ESPN.
“We’ve made a significant offer. That’s what I thought Hal said to everybody,” Cashman said. “I’m not going to comment anymore. I thought Hal announced that we made a significant offer. And we’ve had a few conversations. I thought I was restating Hal’s stuff. If I said a little more, that’s all I’m saying.”
Playing this season under a one-year, $15 million option, Cano is said to be seeking a deal along the lines of Albert Pujols‘ and Joey Votto‘s 10-year contracts. Likewise, his agent, Scott Boras, prefers that his clients determine their value on the open market rather than signing extensions.
“Robinson is focused on preparing for and playing the 2013 season,” Boras told ESPN. “By agreement, discussions shall remain confidential. Also by agreement, discussions will cease if they are a distraction to Robinson’s performance and leadership of the 2013 Yankees.
“Robbie and I have had several conversations with the Yankees, and we plan to continue the dialogue.”
Although Cano has not yet accepted an extension with the Yankees, it’s unclear whether he’s rejected the offer the Yankees made.
Powered by WordPress.com VIP