Yankees Nearing Deal to Land Nick Johnson? Earlier this week, the Red Sox were reportedly deep in discussions with the agent for first baseman Nick Johnson about bringing the 31-year-old to Boston. Now, it looks like the window for that signing might be closing.

Multiple reports out of New York on Thursday suggest that it may instead be the Yankees who end up landing Johnson, who split the 2009 season between Florida and Washington.

Newsday's Ken Davidoff said, via Twitter, that Johnson and the Bronx Bombers are "wrapping up a one-year deal for about $5.5 million," pending a physical.

The New York Post's George A. King III, too, reported Thursday afternoon that the Yanks are "moving toward" a one-year deal for Johnson, who would likely be New York's everyday designated hitter in 2010.

King says that an agreement between the two sides could be announced as early as Friday morning.

The Seattle Mariners and San Francisco Giants are also said to be in the running to sign Johnson, and the Giants have reportedly offered somewhere in the range of $5.5-6 million for one season. Johnson said over the summer that he would prefer a two-year deal, but it doesn't appear at this point that the market is willing to accommodate him.

Johnson hit .291 with eight home runs and 62 RBIs in 133 games last season, and his on-base percentage of .426 is the highest among all free agents.