Shawn Thornton on Tyler Seguin Mishap: ‘He Slept in, It Happens’

by NESN Staff

December 8, 2011

Tyler Seguin's first trip to Winnipeg as a Bruin didn't go so smoothly.

Luckly, the Bruins are back in Boston and all is forgiven after the young sniper paid his due by sitting out on Tuesday night for missing breakfast and a team meeting.

Shawn Thornton, no stranger to falling into some trouble in his younger days, gave his take on 98.5 The Sports Hub on Thursday.

"We?ve all been there I know that. I mean when I was younger I missed a flight once, so we've all slept through things and made mistakes. He sat out out his game, he paid his due and now I'm sure he'll be back in [Thursday night]," said the forward.

"It?s not an attitude thing, really, don't overthink it. He slept in it happens," added Thornton.

According to the B's bruiser, it was just a matter of oversleeping and had nothing to do with any extracurricular activity in Winnipeg — if there even is any.

"Yeah that's what we do, back-to-back games we get in at 3 a.m. and we're like 'Whoo! Where can we rip it up till noon the next day with a game?'" joked Thornton.

"It's different every time because we got in at like 2 or 3 a.m. into Winnipeg so we didn't have a [morning] skate. I think we had breakfast from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. — it was available for two and a half hours — and then we had a meeting at 11:30 a.m., if I'm not mistaken. The meeting took about 10 to 12 minutes," Thornton said.

Fans and media members alike wonder why no one was around to check in on the winger.

"Everybody assumed he would just show up at 11:30 a.m. [or] he had already been down for breakfast or whatever. He wasn't, I guess, and then he wasn't there for the meeting," Thornton explained. "The meeting was pretty quick. I'm pretty sure he got down there right after the meeting."

Previous Article

Yu Darvish Plans to Leave Japan to Play in the Major Leagues Next Season

Next Article

Wayne Rooney Lodges Successful Appeal to UEFA, Ban Reduced to Two Games

Picked For You