Victorino was held out of the Red Sox’s split-squad lineups with what manager John Farrell described as “general soreness.” The injury is not related to Victorino’s surgically repaired back, according to Farrell, and isn’t considered serious, but it’s a minor wrench thrown into what had been a very encouraging spring for the veteran outfielder.
“Shane’s OK,” Farrell told reporters in Fort Myers before Saturday’s split-squad games. “He’s just getting back into shape, some general soreness. He will be in the lineup on Monday over at Jupiter against St. Louis, so he’s a go.”
Victorino’s soreness is in the hamstring/quad area, according to Farrell, which is good news for the Red Sox, as it doesn’t indicate any issue with the outfielder’s back. The 34-year-old appeared in only 30 major league games in 2014 and didn’t appear in a single big league contest beyond July 30 because of season-ending back surgery.
“We’re just trying to be on a little bit of the cautious side,” Farrell said Saturday morning.
Victorino told WEEI.com on Saturday that his legs tightened shortly after an aggressive baserunning play in Friday’s Grapefruit League game against the Miami Marlins. Daniel Nava doubled to left field, and Victorino went from first to third and slid into third base.
“Second game in seven months and I’m going first to third on a bang-bang play?” Victorino told WEEI.com, reportedly with a wry laugh. “What’s my problem?”
“It’s the only way I know how to play,” he added.
Victorino did participate in batting practice before Saturday’s game against the Minnesota Twins, so it doesn’t seem like this is a major issue, though it’s certainly noteworthy given his recent injury history.
Farrell said earlier in camp that Victorino figures to be the Red Sox’s starting right fielder this season if he’s fully healthy.
Thumbnail photo via Steve Mitchell/USA TODAY Sports Images
Powered by WordPress.com VIP