Miley admitted before Friday night’s game against the Toronto Blue Jays at Fenway Park that he was out of line Thursday night when he engaged in a heated argument with Red Sox manager John Farrell in the visitors’ dugout at Camden Yards upon being yanked after the fourth inning of Boston’s 6-5 loss.
“I let my emotions get the best of me,” Miley said. “In the heat of battle, I did something I shouldn’t have done. I handled it terribly.”
Miley and Farrell argued in Baltimore after the skipper informed the pitcher he wouldn’t return to the mound for the start of the fifth inning. Steven Wright had been warming up in Boston’s bullpen in the fourth inning, which evidently didn’t sit well with Miley, who went bonkers in plain view.
“I lost my head,” Miley said Friday.
Farrell said after the game he respected Miley’s competitiveness but made clear Friday the left-hander’s actions were “unacceptable.” Miley, who said little about the incident Thursday night, seemed much more remorseful when talking with reporters Friday in Boston. He said no issues exist between him and Farrell, and he also shot down the idea that the manager has lost control of the clubhouse.
“He’s doing everything he can to get us going, trying to make the right moves for us to have the best success possible,” Miley said, shouldering the blame for Thursday’s in-game spat. “We’re not holding up our end of the bargain.”
Miley didn’t pitch well in the Red Sox’s series finale against the Orioles, as he allowed five earned runs on nine hits, including three homers, over four innings. His frustration is understandable, his competitiveness is undeniable and his passion is welcome. The 28-year-old simply crossed the line.
“It’s on me,” Miley said.
Thumbnail photo via Twitter/@BostonGlobe
Powered by WordPress.com VIP