BOSTON — Pedro’s party. Pedro’s rules.
The Red Sox retired Pedro Martinez’s No. 45 during a ceremony Tuesday night at Fenway Park, after which the Hall of Fame pitcher was asked again about the disparaging comments made last week by popular radio host Colin Cowherd about the intelligence of Dominican Republic baseball players.
Martinez, like he did over the weekend in Cooperstown, N.Y., brushed aside the topic. This time, however, Martinez made it clear Cowherd’s invitation to Tuesday’s festivities didn’t get lost in the mail.
It never was sent.
“Today is my day,” said Martinez, who remained jovial throughout the evening. “The other day was my introduction to the Hall of Fame. I have plenty of things to think about. I have plenty of reasons to be enjoying the moment. I don’t want to ruin the moment.
“He doesn’t deserve any of this great parade. He wasn’t invited to the Pedro Parade. I’m sorry. He needs to stay away.”
Cowherd fell into some hot water last week when he suggested baseball can’t be too complex because of the number of Dominican players currently in Major League Baseball. He later apologized and tried to clarify his comments, but his attempts fell on deaf ears.
“Let’s continue on with my parade and my induction and our induction and the people that really care. Those are the people I’m talking to,” Martinez said during a press conference following the on-field ceremony. “I’m talking to you guys because you guys care, you guys are important. I don’t need to talk to anybody that’s not important and I don’t care about what he does with his life.
“He can go on and do whatever he’s doing. This is my time now.”
This indeed is Pedro’s house.
Thumbnail photo via Twitter/@PeteAbe
Powered by WordPress.com VIP