Steven Wright will miss more than one start after injuring his shoulder pinch-running against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Aug. 7.
The Boston Red Sox knuckleballer was scratched from his last start Thursday with shoulder inflammation, but manager John Farrell reported signs of improvement last week. However, Wright said Sunday that his shoulder wasn’t quite where it needed to be, and the Red Sox placed him on the 15-day disabled list Monday as a result.
“It’s just not progressing the way I thought it was going to,” Wright told reporters, via MLB.com. “It just hurts. I don’t want to go out there and throw with too much pain, because I don’t want to start compensating. If it’s hurting as much as it has been on flat ground, you start adding the mound and all that, adrenaline, the last thing I want to do is hurt myself even more.”
The move is retroactive to Aug. 8, so Wright theoretically could start against the Tampa Bay Rays on Aug. 23, when his next start is scheduled for. In the meantime, Clay Buchholz will pitch against the Detroit Tigers on Thursday in place of Wright.
The Red Sox also placed first baseman Hanley Ramirez on the bereavement list, where he’ll stay for the next three games including Monday’s against the Cleveland Indians, and optioned left-hander Roenis Elias to Pawtucket. Right-hander Heath Hembree and infielders Marco Hernandez and Deven Marrero were called up as a result.
Thumbnail photo via Winslow Townson/USA TODAY Sports Images
Thumbnail photo via Jun 20, 2016; Boston, MA, USA; Boston Red Sox starting pitcher Steven Wright (35) delivers a knuckleball against the Chicago White Sox during the first inning at Fenway Park. Mandatory Credit: Winslow Townson-USA TODAY Sports