Aaron Hernandez‘s probable cause hearing has been postponed until Aug. 22, and his lawyers are not pleased with the delay.
Charles Rankin, Hernandez’s defense attorney, argued Wednesday against the prosecution’s request for a 30-day continuance in the case, stating that new evidence presented in the media while Hernandez sits in solitary confinement hurts his client’s chance at a fair trial.
“He’s now been in jail for 28 days without any chance for his lawyers to question a single witness, to examine any documents,” Rankin said. “After a dramatic presentation last month, 28 days ago, the district attorney’s office said [Wednesday], ‘We haven’t had time, we need another month.'”
The prosecution requested the continuance on the grounds that it is awaiting an indictment from a grand jury, which would shift Hernandez’s case to Superior Court and eliminate the need for a probable cause hearing. District Court Judge Daniel O’Shea granted the continuance based on the seriousness of the charges, rescheduling the hearing for Aug. 22 at 2 p.m.
“Well, we’ll be here in another month and we’ll be ready to go forward on Aug. 22, and at that time we’re confident Aaron will be exonerated,” Rankin said.
Hernandez is being held without bail at Bristol County House of Correction after being charged with first-degree murder in the June 17 killing of Odin Lloyd.
Photo via Twitter/@Fox25Court
© 2015 New England Sports Network. All Rights Reserved. All photos © 2015 Associated Press and NBA photos © 2015 Getty Images unless indicated. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of Associated Press is strictly prohibited.
Powered by WordPress.com VIP