Stephen Drew is becoming synonymous with “conflicting reports.”
ESPN.com’s Jim Bowden reported Monday that Drew received a two-year offer from the Boston Red Sox, and WFAN’s Mike Francesa followed that up Tuesday by saying that the free-agent shortstop also received an offer from the New York Mets. However, according to WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford and the New York Daily News’ Kristie Ackert, the Mets have not extended a formal offer to Drew.
Drew rejected the Red Sox’ one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer at the beginning of free agency in order to seek a multiyear contract on the open market. The 30-year-old has yet to find a deal, although his agent, Scott Boras, continues to insist that multiple teams are interested in his client.
One potential roadblock in Drew’s quest to land a multiyear contract is the draft pick compensation attached to him by virtue of Boston’s qualifying offer. Any team (other than the Red Sox) that signs Drew will need to relinquish a draft pick, which isn’t all that enticing given today’s widespread emphasis on stockpiling young talent.
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said last month that he has kept an open dialogue with Drew and Boras, and Boston certainly is open to bringing back the veteran shortstop. Cherington also said, however, that the media attention around Drew’s free agency doesn’t quite reflect the amount of time the club has spent pursuing a reunion, seemingly suggesting that the Red Sox might be ready to move on unless a team-friendly deal comes along.
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson, meanwhile, recently said his team is “unlikely” to sign Drew despite his conversations with Boras. The Mets are slated to begin the 2014 season with Ruben Tejada as their starting shortstop.
Right now, everyone probably would be better off just waiting to see how things play out. But because there’s such a desire to get a handle on this whole situation, let the rumors fly.