If you tuned in late to Sunday's Red Sox-Yankees game, you may have noticed that Jorge Posada wasn't in the Yankees starting lineup. Well, that could become a common sight going forward.
Posada and Yankees skipper Joe Girardi met prior to Sunday's game, during which Girardi told the long-time Yankee that he will no longer be the team's designated hitter, according to ESPN.com.
"He said he's going to put the best lineup on the field, and he doesn't know when I'm going to DH again, so right now I'm sitting the bench," Posada said.
Posada, who had been 0-for-7 in the series, is in the midst of a subpar season. He's hitting .230 with nine home runs, 31 RBIs and only a .309 on-base percentage. In 17 games since the All-Star break, he hasn't homered and has driven in only two runs.
Eric Chavez and Andruw Jones have seen time as the team's DH, and Alex Rodriguez figures to slide into the spot on occasion when he returns.
There have also been some indications that top catching prospect Jesus Montero could be called up at some point, although Girardi reportedly said that it isn't happening yet and Posada will not be released.
"We're going to see how this works," Girardi said. "We're going to try some different things. We'll see how this works, and I told Jorge, 'You're still going to be a big part of this, and we're going to need you. We're just going to do some different things.'"
Posada said that he's "very disappointed" about the situation but admits that he brought it upon himself.
This marks the second time this season that a Posada incident has made headlines while the team's been in Boston. In May, also prior to facing Josh Beckett and the Red Sox, Girardi decided to bat Posada ninth, at which point the 39-year-old removed himself from the starting lineup completely.